Horse racing is a popular event in many countries. Some of the most popular and richest races include the Kentucky Derby, The Royal Ascot, Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe, Dubai World Cup and of course The Melbourne Cup here in Australia.
But of course it’s not only about the horse races, fashion plays a vital role.
The races are a fantastic event to wear something a little different, make a statement and show off your personality.
Putting together the perfect race day outfit is a top to toe affair, as hats and fascinator’s are a traditional part of race day attire.
So how do you co-ordinate a formal dress with a hat? Here are our top tips and some perfect race day dresses.
1. Try to purchase your outfit first, or know what colour suits you best. It is very hard to colour match a hat exactly with your outfit, so try to complement the outfit with the hat and look at simple colours.
2. Don’t rush into buying a hat or fascinator. Make sure you try on different styles to see what you like. The perfect design for you should work with the shape of your face.
3. Don’t forget to try different materials. Feathers, flowers, netting and embellishment adds an extra special touch.
4. While it’s hard to match your colours, it’s important to match your styles. If your dress has straight lines, try a box hat. For long flowing dresses, large brim hats add a romantic touch. It’s all about getting the style right from top to toe.
5. Make sure it’s comfortable and you can wear it all day. You don’t want a headache, or to have to take it off half way through the day, only to have hat hair.
6. If you are going to be wearing sunglasses as well, ensure they work with your hat and don’t over power your look.
Our Top 3 most popular race day dresses are:
The Sophia Dress in cobalt is made from 100% Silk. This dress features a knee length hem, sleeves and pockets making it the race day dress.
The Beautiful Evening Sky Dress has been designed and made in Australia. Featuring a ruffle bust detailing, it’s sleeveless, cool and comfortable to wear. The beautiful Champagne colour is easily accessorised.
The Zebra Short Dress makes a real statement, yet is utter sophistication when teamed with a Black Hat or Fascinator. This easy care dress travels well, is comfortable and can effortlessly transition from day to night.
Copyright © 2016 Stokes Thompson. All Rights Reserved. Contact Stokes Thompson or phone +61 7 3369 5119. This article may not be used without the prior written consent from the author. See below for more details…